I made this lemon chiffon cake quite some time ago, and I’ve received several requests on Instagram for the recipe. I am so sorry for the delay, finally found time to sit down and type it out. I have shared the recipe below in this post.
I had originally wanted to make a matcha chiffon cake, and although the cake turned out fine, it wasn’t “pretty” enough to be photographed. I decided to try the same recipe but modified to a lemon chiffon cake instead, since I love any dessert with lemon in it. I love how this cake turned out tall and fluffy, some of my not-so-successful chiffon cakes kind of shrunk by half after it cooled.
Ingredients for Lemon Chiffon Cake
- 80 gm cake flour
- 5 egg yolks
- 30 gm caster sugar
- 35 gm vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 120 ml lemon juice (I used a mixture of freshly squeezed lemon juice and store bought lemon juice)
- 6 egg whites
- 50 gm caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Combine cake flour, baking powder and salt well.
- Whisk egg yolks, stir in 30 grams of caster sugar until completely dissolved. Add vegetable oil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Sift in cake flour mixture. Make sure to combine and stir well between adding each ingredient. Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to beat egg whites until bubbles form, then add one third of sugar at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form (you should be able to turn the mixing bowl upside down over your head and nothing moves).
- Fold in 1/3 of egg whites into the batter. Gently incorporate all ingredients with a rubber spatula. Repeat this procedure with the rest of the egg whites until just combined.
- Transfer mixture to 8 inch chiffon cake mould. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minute until done. Remove from oven and invert the mould immediately to stop the cake from collapsing as it cools. Let the cake cool completely. Use a knife to run around the edges of mould to remove the cake.
- I piped on decorations using melted chocolate.