Made this matcha Keroppi bread buns before my trip, these turned out soft and fluffy.
Recipe for matcha bread buns
- 240g bread flour
- 25g sugar
- 25g beaten egg
- 120ml milk
- 1 tsp yeast
- 40g butter
- 2 tsp matcha powder
Recipe for cookie dough (used to make the eyes)
- 50g flour
- 20g butter
- 18g sugar
- 10g egg
1. Prepare the cookie dough first – beat the butter and sugar, the add in the egg and continue beating. Finally add in the flour and mix until it comes together in a smooth dough. Roll out between 2 sheets of parchment paper and allow to chill for 2 hours.
2. I used the dough mode on my bread machine to knead the bread dough. After it has proofed once in the bread machine, remove and cut into 6 equal portions. Shape into round balls and allow to proof another 10min.
3. Roll out the dough once more and shape into a smooth round ball. Allow to proof again until doubled in size.
4. Cut out the eyes from the cookie dough using a round cutter. Brush the matcha bread dough with egg wash, then place the eyes on top.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 degrees for 18mins, or until done. I did not let the bread turn golden brown as I wanted to keep the pretty matcha shade, so I took these out of the oven after 15min.
6. Pipe on the eyes and mouth with melted chocolate, and add circles of ham for the cheeks. You could also cut out circles of strawberry slices for the cheeks.