I made some chocolate donuts for the kids breakfast and decorated some into Mickey and Minnie.
I did not glaze the chocolate donuts as the melted chocolate would have made the donuts too sweet if I had added chocolate glaze as well.
The decorations were added with melted chocolate. I had used Wilton candy melts and found them rather difficult to work with, and after reading some reviews online I decided that I would try other brands of candy melts in future.
I used the chocolate donut recipe from Joy the Baker.
Baked chocolate donuts recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celsius and spray a donut baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Whisk together the dry ingredients – flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients- buttermilk, egg, melted butter, and vanilla extract until combined.
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together until all of the ingredients are well combined. Fill the donut pan until 2/3 full. I used a cake pop mould to make small round donuts for the Mickey and Minnie ears. For those fill the bottom half of the mould til level and cover with the top part of the cake pop mould.
5. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until a skewer inserted into one of the doughnuts comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.