Today is Pi Day, to celebrate the mathematical constant π (pi). It is celebrated on 14th March (3.14, get it?) Thought it was quite cute and I decided to make – what else – pie!
I generally like to bake but I have not made pies before as I felt it was more challenging than cakes and cookies. I decided to try a strawberry pie as I had all the necessary ingredients in my kitchen already.
Strawberry Mini Pies
Recipe from Country Living – Strawberry Hand Pies
- 2 1/3 cup(s) (plus more for dusting) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) Baking Powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 1 stick(s) Cold Unsalted Butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 large Egg Yolks
- 1 teaspoon(s) Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 pound(s) Strawberries, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup(s) Confectioners’ Sugar
- 3 tablespoon(s) Strawberry Jam
- 1 tablespoon(s) Sanding Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine 2 1/4 cups flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse sand. Add 1 egg yolk, 1/2 cup chilled water, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and mix until just combined. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead 2 to 3 times, just until dough comes together. Return dough to bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until chilled, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make filling: In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, confectioners’ sugar, and jam, plus remaining flour, vanilla, and salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat remaining yolk and 1 tablespoon water for egg wash; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut dough into 6 rounds.
- Roll 1 round into a 6-inch circle. Spoon a heaping 2 tablespoons filling onto half of circle, leaving 1/2-inch border. Brush the edges with egg wash, then fold dough over filling. Using a fork, crimp the edges to seal hand pie. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking pan. Repeat with remaining dough rounds and filling.
- Using a toothpick, poke a few holes in the top of each pie. Brush with remaining egg wash and sprinkle each pie with 1/2 teaspoon sanding sugar. Bake until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
My pies did not turn out very well in my opinion as I forgot the strawberries would dry out during the baking process. OK, I will try this again but will try to blind bake the crust first in future to reduce over-cooking the filling.
Notice the π on the pie crust? I made that using the last bit of dough. Packed with some dragon-fruit slices sand strawberries in my new Lunchbots.