I had made a small batch of vanilla cupcakes with Nutella centers for Valentines-themed snacks. You might want to add cocoa powder and melted chocolate buttons to the batter but I used vanilla as I wanted the cupcakes to be pink for Valentines. I coloured the batter pink with Wilton gel (paste) colouring and dropped a spoon of nutella in the center (as seen in the silicone cup on the right) before topping with more batter. Those on the left have more batter spooned over the dollop of Nutella.
The Nutella fillings sank down a little while baking and hence it looks more like a Nutella smile in the middle of the cupcake. I topped the cupcakes with more Nutella.
Vanilla Cupcake with Nutella fillings Recipe
– 110 grams unsalted butter, cubed and softened
– 110 grams caster sugar, sifted
– 110 grams all-purpose flour, sifted
– 1/2 tsp baking powder, sifted
– 2 eggs
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– food colouring (optional)
– several spoonfuls of Nutella
Makes 8 cupcakes
1. Combine ingredients except Nutella and beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
2. Spoon a tbsp of cupcake batter into cupcake liners (I used silicone cupcake moulds).
3. Add 2 tsps of Nutella into the center, and top with another tbsp of batter.
4. Bake at 175 degree Celsius for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Let cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack and spread Nutella over the top. Serve warm with a light dusting of icing sugar and some berries.